Thursday 18 November 2010

No news is good news. mail shot. 1st ideas.




A couple of first ideas for my mail shot. After looking at various examples of direct mail designs in a book I have been looking at ( http://www.piebooks.com/english/search/detail.php?ID=925 ), along with items of direct mail I have encountered myself, I decided the most tactical way of arranging my mail shot would be to keep it simple and streamlined. 

It seems to me that in order to make mail shots effectively you either have to:

Make them incredibly fancy with twists and turns and user interactivity, so that the viewer can play/construct/break/discover etc etc etc. generally taking the viewer on a roller coaster ride of mail-ness, something that will make them go out and say to their colleagues/friends/neighbours/kids/doctor/ whoever you might come across, 'oh i got the wickedest thing through the mail today.'

OR

make them so incredibly simple, easy to read, streamlined etc etc etc that the viewer can pick it up, acknowledge the message within SECONDS, throw it away, and then think long and hard about what he/she has just read whilst queuing to buy a paper/fags/bus ticket/whatever you might do in the next hour after reading your mail. and then hopefully be good spirited enough to follow up what has been read. 

ANYWHERE in between I imagine just wouldn't work - either too elaborate and can't be read in seconds OR not interactive enough and generally a waste of time, doesn't have enough bells and whistles etc etc etc.



HOWEVER.     I feel like the two designs I have spent a few minutes drawing together may be so boring that not a single person would be able to hold out a few seconds to read it. So I'm going to take a different approach, a much more cut and paste affair. 
why? 
the mail shot is directed at people with children. 
the only 'design' that children know, in reality, is cutting stuff and sticking it somewhere else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment