Monday 31 October 2011

Defining Content

Obviously it was about time I actually defined what kind of content would be in the publication, as this would naturally affect how I would continue designing it. I spent a short while doing a mind-map of all the most obvious things that might appear in a magazine such as this one:

This ranged from everything that could be directly linked back to my original 'good' (Golden Ratio) towards items that stem from this theme in various ways, for example simply using 'Divine Proportions' as an identity for a collection of items that look remarkably 'good' as such (eg, music, art, cultural stuff).

I also considered maybe giving the complete opposite a go (in terms of design); which would be to go against the whole Golden Ratio in some way, or maybe make some large contrasts to it. As in, disregarding anything to do with grids or 'normal' design rules as such. I don't know yet. 

I narrowed this down into a more manageable list of words and phrases which will hopefully give me a much clearer direction form now on when I research and design for the publication;


These words sort of give quite a vague idea of what I am aiming for. Sort of a cross between Grafik, Creative Review, New Scientist and that one-time-special Jam magazine that was floating around college for a while, which was a brilliant magazine, but as of yet I haven't seen a second issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment