Monday 8 October 2012

Potential ISTD briefs (4th brief)










































Two potentially interesting and useful briefs that I could use to become my 4th main brief. I have decided to go with one of these as it serves as a competition brief, and it is also nice to have a brief written by someone else - as opposed to the other three which I have written myself. I wrote up a quick list of pro's and con's to help me decide which one to undertake:


'Circus'

pro's:

- Possibility of moving image work, something which I have not picked up on in a while.
- Cultural Branding work; an exciting area of the design world, usually allowing quite a significant amount of creative freedom.
- Scope for vast brief expansion; to create a range of related products and apply work to a apply work to a range

con's:

- Not too keen on subject matter; although it would be possible to re-write this brief to suit my own interests more, it would stop being a competition brief, and it is always good experience to put something out there in public to be assessed by somebody outside of the college.


'Books still?'

pro's:

- Yet more editorial design work
- Interesting subject matter; This particular topic has always caught my attention since I have developed an interest in graphic design
- Relevant to Dissertation work; research would apply to both the brief and the essay.
- Research-driven
- Heavily typographic

con's:

- Yet more editorial design work; 2 out of 3 of my other briefs are fairly content-driven and publication-orientated, so it would be good to take a different direction for a change.


Obviously I will have to make a decision very soon so I can crack on with it; I have decided to go with 'Books still?'; after reading the lists of pro's and con's I feel that this kind of thing is more likely to keep me interested for a greater length of time and also crosses over with my dissertation work. Seems like a good situation to be in.

I may try and re-write the brief myself to get a solid idea of what it is asking me to do; although the ISTD briefs tend to be fairly well written as far as competition briefs go. I reckon I will have a go at simplifying it at the least to allow me to get on with research as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment