Saturday 5 November 2011

Typeface Designing

After the progress tutorial I thought I'd have a go and doing as few letters based on the Golden Ratio.

To start with a drew up a new grid, much like the original one I did, but actually using a Golden Rectangle (100mm x 161.8mm) instead of a sheet of A4 (297mm x 210mm), for which I could begin sketching up the letters. Here it is:


And so I put this into a new document on Illustrator that was the same size:



That way I can begin creating guides that I can use to create the letters themselves far more effectively:




The grid itself.










































Creating a basic letter using the guides formed from the original grid. It does look very un-ornamental as such, but this is often a good thing. Further research will help me decide whether I should mess with letters beyond this sort of point; I mean, I it's almost definitely going to be a sans-serif job at this point in time.









 Next to a Helvetica capital A for comparison:

No comments:

Post a Comment