Sunday 6 November 2011

Typeface sketches

Obviously it is far too soon to actually get bang involved with designing digitally, as I have not yet explored many possibilites with regards to the typeface I am going to create. I took some time out to do some sketches, I was originally going to to 10 ideas for every letter but I figured that would involve going over and over the same styles. Instead I did 90 to get a fairly good idea of what styles I could use, I figure these cover quite a broad range.






I'm looking to go towards these sort of styles, I can't yet decide whether to do something a little more classy and rounded (the first B), or maybe go for a more mathematical approach and do an isometric-based typeface (the other B's). The isometric letterforms could be crafted very nicely on the right sort of grid, I could perhaps combine my Golden Ratio grid with some isometrics to get proper angles. I am unsure yet.


I quite like these slanted A's, they make use of the rule of thirds and offer a slight alternative to standard letterforms. One thing for sure is that I will be going for the whole fat/thin approach. At the bottom of this particular page I started to add in a sly triangle reference, just to tie in with the whole mathematics and the Golden Triangle thing. Maybe that's getting a little too ornamental for my liking. 


Also started messing around with slightly more abstracted forms, I might consider trying out some more styles like that, but its lack of legibility concerns me a bit so I might just mess around with these in my own time..


No comments:

Post a Comment